Thursday, February 16, 2023

Movie opening storyline/plan

 

                                           Movie opening storyline/plan

    Hey again guys! Research takes sooo long omg.  Throughout my journey, I want to be as honest as possible with my fellow readers and just admit that this is a very time-consuming project.  The main task that took me a while to brainstorm has to be the idea/concept of what I want to do.  From the very moment that my teacher told us that thinking about an original concept would be necessary, my mind when straight to the idea of desire or chasing a dream.  


    The idea itself came solely from self-reflection.  Throughout my life, I've carried such a love for media, such as film, music, and poetry.  Without question, it has saved my life and helped me cope with the challenges and mental obstacles that I have ever dealt with.  I would not be who I am without anything media. I connect with it.  My mind lit up and went straight to this idea because of myself. I've always been asked in life what I want to be when I grow up, and it's usually answered with "doctor" or "businesswoman" because not only am I indecisive, but I am also afraid of admitting that I want to be an actress or work in marketing and advertising or a journalist.  Since I was just a little girl, it has been my one desire, and that is what I wanted to be portrayed through the storyline. 


    The story begins with the inside of a theater and our main character with her friends. We see all characters sit in seats, ready to watch the film.  The black and white film then begins to play.  The character (Stella) drops something from her seat and then leans downwards to pick it up. Struggling to reach it, she starts coming back up once she hears a woman in the film speaking. The woman stands out to Stella as she is in total incantation by her acting as she aspires to be an actress herself. We see several intimate, close-up shots, capturing the desire and admiration she has for the actress and her role.  Then, the lights in the theater go on, and the film is finished, representing the realization of Stella knowing that her dreams will never come true as she is stuck in a wheelchair; this is not known until the end of the opening when she is captured entire body in a wheelchair while others are sitting or walking out of the movies. 


    The goal is to capture the complex reality of people with disabilities having dreams but feeling self-doubt due to their condition. It is hard for people with disabilities to not only fit into this industry but
others as well. We wanted to portray the beauty and raw truth of what it means to have a desire and what it takes to keep it alive. 


Here are some films that inspired us...



                                      

                                                              Film: La La Land
                                                            Year of release: 2016
 
La La Land, being one of my favorite films of all time, is one of the first films that came to mind that ultimately inspired our opening idea.  This storyline is about two main characters but mainly on Mia (Emma Stone) who is a working actress, struggling to make her dream a reality. With many obstacles she is being faced with, she struggles to maintain her journey to accomplish her goal which is to be a movie star! 
                                        

                                                            Film: Hidden Figures
                                                            Year of release: 2016

The inspiring untold true story of three empowering black females is what also came to mind. When taking this film into consideration, it was clear that the film was so empowering towards chasing dreams and never giving up. It portrays how hard it was for women to have just as much privilege as men do. There is desire and want that is not given because they are women and back then, this mattered. 


Credits/resources: 

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4846340/

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3783958/







No comments:

Post a Comment

CCR creations